Transition supports for youth who are deaf or hard of hearing and have additional developmental challenges

There are a number of community programs available through "Passport" under the Ministry of Community and Social Services. This program includes:

Passport Mentoring

This is an opportunity for high school students who have a developmental disability and are 14 to 21 years old to consider options for their future by being paired with experienced adult mentors. Students and mentors work together to decide what steps they need to take to achieve the student's goals. It is very important to start early because there tends to be a waiting list, particularly if there is a need for a group home placement.

Passport Funding

This part of the program helps adults with a developmental disability find more ways to participate in their communities by:

  • easing the transition from school to life as an adult in the community
  • encouraging independence
  • building social, emotional and community participation skills
  • promoting continuing education and personal development
  • Funding is for activities that help them:
  • grow personally
  • participate in community programs
  • develop work and volunteer skills
  • create their own life plans
  • reach their goals
  • Individuals and families can choose to:
  • receive Passport money directly so they can purchase their own services and supports
  • get services and supports through community-based agencies, or
  • get services and supports through a combination of both

Passport funding is for youth with a developmental disability who are no longer eligible for school supports, but who would benefit from community participation supports. Individuals cannot receive Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) Employment Supports at the same time as Passport funding. The youth can live with family, independently or in a supportive living arrangement (such as a group home). First priority is given to people who are living at home with their families.

Contact Developmental Services Ontario at: or for information.

There are several group homes and supportive living programs for youth or adult who are deaf or hard of hearing. For information, contact The Bob Rumball Associations for the Deaf at .