Due to the global pandemic, and in order to ensure the safety of our clients and staff, this service will be provided virtually for the foreseeable future.
Canadian Hearing Services offers sign language classes for individuals interested in learning American Sign Language (ASL).
American Sign Language (ASL) is the language of most Deaf Canadians. It is a visual language made up of specific gestures (signs), hand shapes and facial expressions. It has its own unique grammatical rules and sentence structure.
Our qualified Deaf instructors use Signing Naturally, a sign language curriculum developed at Vista Community College in Berkeley, California, that teaches both ASL and Deaf culture to help you understand the communication needs of the Deaf community.
A “no-voice” teaching method is used to reinforce the learning experience. Participants learn through classroom instruction and role-play, as well as through videotext and a workbook. The videotext and workbook supplement and reinforce the classroom instruction, providing an opportunity to review, practice and retain what has been taught.
We offer a range of courses, from beginner to advanced
- Beginner courses are designed to introduce students to ASL. Concepts discussed relate to people, places and things within the immediate environment. Students learn to handle basic, everyday communication such as exchanging information, identifying/describing others, and asking for clarification.
- Intermediate courses emphasize language in context: locating things, learning numeracy, making requests with inflection, talking about life events and family histories, describing objects and having social conversation.
- Advanced courses focus on building narrative skills, moving from an informal to a more formal presentation, and on developing conversational skills used in everyday discussion.
|Please register early to avoid course cancellation due to low enrolment. Insufficient registrations may necessitate the cancellation of a course.|
WINTER 2021 SCHEDULE
|CLASSES||LEVEL||DAY||TIME||WEEK||START DATE||END DATE|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||Basic ASL Vocabulary||SATURDAYS||10 AM - 11 AM||10||January 9, 2021||March 20, 2021 (no class Feb 13)|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 101||MONDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 18, 2021||March 29, 2021 (no class Feb 15)|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 102||TUESDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 19, 2021||March 23, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 103||WEDNESDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 20, 2021||March 24, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 104||WEDNESDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 20, 2021||March 24, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 101||THURSDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 21, 2021||March 25, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 301||MONDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 18, 2021||March 29, 2021 (no class Feb 15)|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 302||THURSDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 21, 2021||March 25, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 303||THURSDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 21, 2021||March 25, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 304||THURSDAYS||6 PM - 9 PM||10||January 21, 2021||March 25, 2021|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 101||SATURDAYS||9 AM - 12 PM||10||January 16, 2021||March 27, 2021 (no class Feb 13)|
|CHS ONLINE VIRTUAL||ASL 102||SATURDAYS||9 AM - 12 PM||10||January 16, 2021||March 27, 2021 (no class Feb 13)|
If you have no previous knowledge of ASL, you begin with ASL 101. If you have some ASL experience, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a placement test.
Classes are open to anyone 16 years of age or older.
Learning any language takes a great deal of time, energy and commitment. To be able to sign is only part of the process. You must also be able to understand ASL signed by a native user. People learn at different rates so it’s difficult to predict how long it will take to learn ASL.
All ASL classes are priced at $199 per student for registration, for any level.
- ASL 101 Signing Naturally Level 1 Workbook including DVD $145.00 (this workbook is also used for 102)
- ASL 103 Signing Naturally Level 2 Workbook including DVD $145.00 (this work book is also used for 104)
- ASL 301 Signing Naturally Level 3 Workbook including DVD $145.00 (this workbook is used for 301-304)
Refund Policy: Refunds will be provided up to 7 days before the course begins. Full refunds will not be provided after the 7 days. If you decide to withdraw, please contact email@example.com no later than the third class to request a partial refund. No refunds are given after the 3rd class. A $25.00 administration fee and $19.50 per class as applicable will be deducted from the refund. No refunds are given for student workbooks. Should you need to withdraw for a sufficient reason, a deferral is a second option subject to course availability.