Due to the global pandemic, and in order to ensure the safety of our clients and staff, this service will be provided virtually for the foreseeable future.
The Family Communication program at Canadian Hearing Services provides sign language instruction to help parents continue to develop their own sign language skills and enhance communication with their children.
This program helps address several challenges faced by families with school-aged children who are Deaf or hard of hearing. Some of the challenges include:
- School-aged children and their parents may struggle with communication, especially if the child removes their hearing aid or cochlear implant.
- Parents with Deaf children who use sign language begin to fall behind when their children enter school and struggle to keep up as they have no, or limited, resources to learn sign language.
Information about Family Communication sessions
- The program includes nine two-hour instruction sessions
- A schedule is arranged between the instructor and the family
- An experienced American Sign Language instructor will meet with the parents
- An initial meeting between the family and instructor is accompanied by a sign language interpreter to help facilitate goal setting and discussion
How to apply
The Family Communication Program is available at our Hamilton and Brantford locations. To apply for the program, or for more information, contact:
Phone toll free: 1-866-518-0000
TTY toll free: 1-877-215-9530