Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) is the live, word-for-word transcription of speech to text so that individuals can read what is being said in group settings and at personal appointments on a laptop or a larger screen. CART services can be provided on-site or remotely, in both English and French, via a secure website.
A professional CART writer transcribes the spoken word into written English or French text using a stenotype machine, notebook computer and real-time software. The text is then displayed on a small screen, such as a laptop computer, or projected onto a large screen for classrooms, conferences or meetings.
CART service can be provided on-site or remotely.
When CART is provided on-site the writer is on location for the meeting or event.
When CART is provided remotely:
- a writer has access to the meeting from an off-site location
- deaf or hard of hearing individuals log onto a secure website that carries the transmission
- users can access the service from single or multiple locations
- CART transmissions can be displayed on a laptop, large monitor or LCD projector for the benefit of all participants
CART permits visual access to a conversation, discussion or presentation in a variety of settings, including:
- employment training or meetings
- religious services
- conventions and conferences
- personal appointments and meetings
- civic events and cultural presentations
CART is a primary provider of real-time translation services across Canada. Our CHS CART writers are:
- affiliated with a professional association, and thus adhere to a Professional Code of Ethics
- transcribe at 180 to 225 words per minute with a 98% verbatim accuracy rate
- CART is one of the many specialized services offered by CHS – the leader in hearing healthcare since 1940
On-site services are available across Ontario. Remote services are available anywhere with internet access across Canada and internationally.
To request CART services, or for more information, contact us:
Phone toll free: 1-866-518-0000
TTY toll free: 1-877-215-9530