Quick Tips: Hearing Aid Care
By Rex Banks
It’s not easy being a hearing aid. They have to survive moisture, heat, ear wax, skin flakes, oil, pets and hair care products not to mention being dropped and misplaced. To keep your hearing aids functioning properly, here are some practical tips:
- Always keep your hearing aids clean and dry.
- To preserve battery life when you’re not wearing your hearing aids, open the battery compartment door so the battery is not in contact with the internal components.
- Make a habit of cleaning your hearing aids on a daily basis.
- Never use household cleaning fluids to clean your hearing aids.
- At night, store your hearing aids in a drying kit.
- Always check to make sure you’ve removed your hearing aids before swimming, showering or applying hairspray. It’s a good idea to check your pockets before washing clothes as well.
- Pets love to chew hearing aids, so make sure to keep them in a safe place when not in use.
- Always have spare parts on hand, such as tubes, domes and batteries.
- Consider getting a spare pair of hearing aids as a back-up.