Canadian Hearing Services (CHS) respects your right to privacy, and it is important to us that your privacy is protected. CHS has a long-standing commitment to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal and personal health information of our clients, donors, staff and volunteers. As an essential part of quality programming and service, CHS commits to collecting, maintaining, disclosing, securing and destroying personal information in accordance with the applicable Federal and Provincial Privacy Legislations which include; Personal Health Information Act (PHIPA), Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FIPPA), Personal Information and Electronics Documents Act (PIPEDA) and Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation.
What is Personal Information (PI)?
PI is information not publicly available that can be used to reasonably identify or contact you. This could include your social insurance or credit card number, name, employment background, cultural background etc. This does not include business contact information or contact information that is available publicly (i.e. public phone directory).
What is Personal Health Information (PHI)?
PHI is information that relates to your physical or mental health that can reasonably identify you. Examples include; assessments, treatment or health care plans, family medical history, health insurance number, billing information, etc.
CHS collects PI or PHI for the following purposes:
- Health care, service and program delivery
- Communicate with other health care providers as required for service and treatment
- Quality improvement
- Public education
- Marketing, communication and product sales (Opt-in)
- Billing and payment processing
- For other purposes as permitted or required by law
CHS stores PI and PHI securely and only authorized staff can access and use the information for the purpose it was collected. CHS will obtain consent and identify the purpose of information collection at the time it is collected. Exceptions may apply as permitted or required by law.
You Have the Right to:
- Withhold or withdraw consent for collection, use and/or disclosure of personal or personal health information (not retroactive).
- Request access and/or a copy of your personal health information (fees may apply)
- Ask CHS to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete health information
- Be informed if your health information has been lost, stolen or shared with someone without authorization
- Make a complaint to CHS’s Chief Privacy Officer if you have privacy concerns
To opt-out of fundraising communications or CHS newsletters:
- Click on the unsubscribe link, or
- Email email@example.com, or
- Call 1-866-518-0000, extension 4185.
All Other Privacy Inquiries and/or Complaints:
CHS’s Chief Privacy Officer (CPO), or delegate, handles all privacy inquiries and complaints.
To make a privacy inquiry, complaint, request access to information, correction of information, withdraw or change consent directives please contact the CPO at:
Chief Privacy Officer
Phone: 1-866-518-0000, press 0 and ask for Chief Privacy Officer
TTY : 1-877-215-9530, press 0 and ask for Chief Privacy Officer