Book as soon as you know you need an interpreter!
The more lead time available, the more successful arrangements can be made for the desired date and time.
- Phone: 1-866-518-0000
- TTY: 1-877-215-9530
- email: email@example.com
- SKYPE: CHS/SCO
- Fax: 1-855-259-7557
Interpreter schedules tend to fill quickly. More complex events may take more time to arrange. We will make every effort to accommodate last minute requests.
Provide as much information and appointment detail as you can.
This helps us to determine the right interpreter arrangements and/or interpreting team needed for your event.
- Share details such as:
- WHO (composition and number of participants)
- WHAT (type of appointment, procedure, event)
- WHEN (Time, date, and lead time needed for set up/security clearances, etc.)
- WHERE (location, street address, suite number, building/wing, landmarks if outdoors)
- WHY (nature of event/meeting)
- HOW (Contact person/contact information)
- Rest assured all information will remain confidential. Interpreters are bound by the Canadian Association of Sign Language Interpreter Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct. See casli.ca/Code-of-Ethics for more information.
Strive for interpreter consistency in ongoing appointments – greater familiarity and context = better quality of interpretation.
- This can be especially true in mental health, medical and educational appointments. Consider- if you would prefer a consistent person for your own appointment, your patient/client/student would likely wish the same.
- Ask the person if they have a preference.
- Work with us to determine availability and book your appointments in advance.
Be flexible in scheduling if you can. We will work with you to find a time that works for you.
- If you have the opportunity, consider having a few different options available. An interpreter may not be available for the exact time requested but may be available for a slightly different time on the same day or on a different date.
- If an interpreter is not available in your area, video remote access may be an alternative option.
Provide the interpreter information and materials to prepare by sharing all relevant information in advance, for optimal accessibility and accuracy.
You may wish to connect with the interpreter directly to advise of key goals and terminology.
- Examples: Slide decks, presenter notes, agendas, minutes, land and ancestor acknowledgements, case summaries or briefings, questionnaires, templates, courses materials
- Music, poems, video clips
- Names and roles/positions
- Content will remain confidential and will be returned, shredded, or deleted upon completion.
Ensure that your environment is accessible, allowing participants to see/ hear each other and the interpreter.
Check in with your participants to make sure access needs are met.
- Seated opposite each other in small/one-on-one appointments, or circular arrangements for larger groupings
- Interpreter onstage and appropriately lit for presentations/performances
- Limiting extraneous noise and visual distractions
- For virtual events and appointments, be familiar with your platform’s accessibility options such as “multi-pin,” “spotlight/move to stage,” “live transcript,” etc. Enable microphone and camera access for interpreters.
Allow for sufficient/additional time so that all communication needs can be met.
- Book enough time for the complete appointment, beginning to end, so that the interpreter will be fully available for you.
- Video appointments/events: Include interpreters in technical tests/checks.
Advise of any additional information needed to access your site or event
(e.g., parking and entry access, safety considerations, personal protective equipment, security clearances, etc.)
- If you are planning on recording/live streaming your event, please inform the scheduling team at the onset of your request.
If you need to reschedule or cancel, don’t forget to inform the scheduling team as soon as possible.
- We would be happy to provide service for your rescheduled date and appreciate the opportunity to fulfill last minute needs should they arise.