Canadian Hearing Services Donate Now
  • Font size:
    A A A
  • Display mode:
Login Inscription
Donnez maintenant

Avis: Interruption de service

Mesures de soutien pour l’éducation postsecondaire

If you’re a culturally Deaf, oral deaf, deafened or hard of hearing part-time student registered at a publicly-funded Ontario college or university, you can apply for free classroom accommodations so you can participate in the classroom experience.

What CHS provides

Publicly-funded Ontario colleges and universities primarily provide funding for classroom accommodations to full-time students. Educational Support Services at CHS offers funding to part-time students to fill this gap in service.

Our consultants work with Ontario colleges and universities to:

  • assess the specific needs of the registered student
  • determine if the student is eligible for support
  • make recommendations based on an assessment of the student’s needs
  • manage the provision of any appropriate accommodations

Who is eligible for educational support

To be eligible for Educational Support Services funding you must be culturally Deaf, oral deaf, deafened or hard of hearing, and:

  • registered as a part-time post-secondary student (60% course load or less)
  • registered in a credit course at an approved institution
  • ineligible to receive support services from other funding sources

You can only be funded for one course per term. Apprenticeship programs are not eligible.

How to apply for educational support

Your college or university will coordinate your application. Here’s what to do:

  1. Register for a part-time course.
  2. Take your receipt from the Registrar's Office to the Office of Persons with Disabilities or other appropriate department on campus.
  3. Meet with a counsellor to discuss the support services you need.
  4. The counsellor will determine your eligibility for classroom accommodation. If you’re eligible, you and the counsellor must complete and sign the ESS application form for a computerized notetaker or the ESS application form for an interpreter.
  5. The application form can be e-mailed or mailed to: Educational Support Services Canadian Hearing Society 271 Spadina Rd. Toronto, ON M5R 2V3 E-mail:

What classroom accommodations are funded?

Classroom accommodations provide barrier-free access to communication so you can follow instruction and participate in classroom discussions. They include:

sign language interpreters

For students whose first language is American Sign Language (ASL) or la langue des signes québécoise (LSQ), an interpreter provides communication in both ASL and spoken English, or LSQ and spoken French. The interpreter will translate classroom discussions into ASL or LSQ for the student, and from ASL or LSQ to spoken language so the student can ask or answer questions and participate in discussions.

computerized notetakers

Computerized notetakers facilitate communication in the classroom by typing out a summary of what is being said using a laptop computer. A laptop is set up on or near the student’s desk so classroom conversations can be read on the screen. The student will usually receive a summary of notes for study and review. Computerized notetakers should not be confused with CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation) which uses a phonetic keyboard and provides word-for-word transcription of what is being said.

assistive listening devices

A personal amplification system is perfect for one-on-one teacher/student meetings or seminars where noise or acoustics can create challenges for students with hearing loss.
A personal FM system is commonly used in the classroom. It’s a two-part, body-worn device: the student wears the receiver with a choice of headset and the professor or instructor wears the transmitter. Together with the student’s hearing aid, the FM system minimizes background noise and amplifies the instructor’s voice.

Educational Support Services are available at most CHS locations

To find a location near you, contact: E-mail: Phone toll free: 1-877-347-3427 TTY toll free: 1-877-347-3429

Online Contact Form

Haut de la page