FAQs for Job Seekers

Does CHS have a list of employers ready and willing to hire someone with hearing loss?

Each CHS office has access to different resources and works hard to establish partnerships and keep a database of employers in the community. Our employment consultants invest a great deal of effort to ensure that employers understand everyone's rights, responsibilities and accessibility issues.

How can I afford the hearing aids or communication devices I need if I'm not working?

Ensuring your accommodation needs are met before you enter or re-enter the workforce is important. We can work with you to identify your needs and assist you with the selection and application processes. We provide assistance to access funds through a variety of sources like Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Service Canada or local community groups.

Will you find me a job?

Finding a job requires teamwork between you and your CHS Employment Services consultant. We have an employment action plan that will help you with your job search plan. We can help, but it’s up to you.

Does CHS provide a clothing allowance for interviews?

No, but we can help you find funding from other agencies if applicable.

Can I get help to pay for training or courses?

It depends on the type of training. If it’s a college program, we can help you identify places to apply for a training subsidy.

Does CHS have skills training programs?

CHS has a literacy program in Sudbury which focuses on literacy skills development. We can also make referrals to other agencies that offer skills training.

When looking for a job, do I have to disclose my hearing loss in a résumé or cover letter?

There is no right or wrong answer. Disclosing your hearing loss in a cover letter or résumé is your choice but it’s important to know how to handle your hearing status when challenged or asked. If an employer is looking for persons with disabilities then it might be better to disclose. Check the employer’s website for more information.

Will I lose my ODSP if I work?

No. You’ll be able to keep first $200 then the 50% of your earnings is applied from the Ontario Disability Support Program. This means for each dollar you make at work, ODSP will deduct 50 cents from your ODSP cheque. Also, ODSP will add $100 to your ODSP cheque as a work-related benefit.

Can you book interpreters for interviews and on-the-job training?

Yes. We can arrange an interpreter for you through Ontario Interpreting Services at CHS. There is no cost for this service for the Deaf or hard of hearing individuals.

My boss is telling me he may let me go because my hearing has worsened. Can he do that?

No. You’re protected by federal and provincial human rights legislation including the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Employers are required to provide accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential duties of the job.

Is Employment Services free?

Yes, Employment Services at CHS is completely free.

How does Employment Services at CHS differ from other employment services?

Employment Services at CHS focuses on people who are Deaf and hard of hearing and their unique employment challenges, and our network of employers is familiar with their needs. Other services for people with disabilities may not have our knowledge base and expertise working with a wide range of hearing loss in the workplace, including fluency in ASL, technology applications and workplace communication and safety strategies for Deaf and hard of hearing employees. We can also address the needs of people with literacy challenges and deaf immigrants whose first language is not English/French or ASL/LSQ.

For more information, please contact Employment Services for Job Seekers at a CHS location near you.