Charitable Gift Annuities offer you a way to receive income for life and support people who are Deaf and hard of hearing.
When to consider a Charitable Gift Annuity
A Charitable Gift Annuity may be a good investment to consider if:
- you’re over age 65
- you’d like to support Canadian Hearing Services now or on your death or on the death of your spouse
- you’re in need of the income during your lifetime
- you’re looking for an alternative to GICs
- the interest on the majority of your investments is fully taxable
How it works
Charitable Gift Annuities are investment vehicles that offer the same income security as GICs, but with better cash flow.
If you make an irrevocable gift of capital to Canadian Hearing Services for a gift plus annuity, part of the funds becomes a gift to CHS for which you receive an immediate tax receipt. The gift portion will be determined by you and CHS, but must be a minimum of 20%. The remaining funds are used by CHS to purchase you an annuity from a top-rated insurance company.
You’ll receive guaranteed income for life.
How you’ll benefit
- guaranteed income for life
- a charitable tax receipt for the gift portion
- the annual income you receive from the annuity can be all, or largely, tax-free
- you’ll see your gift in action in CHS programs during your lifetime
- avoid probate fees as the annuity is outside your estate
The amount of your annuity will depend on variables such as your age and the current rates. The older you are at the time of the annuity, the better your return. You can contract for a single or a joint annuity with your spouse, with a last-to-die clause. A Charitable Gift Annuity requires a minimum investment of $10,000 with a minimum gift of $2,000 (20% of the investment).
Seek financial and legal advice
We strongly recommend you seek professional advice to ensure your financial goals are considered, your tax situation is reviewed, and your Planned Gift is tailored to your circumstances.