It is very important for youth who are deaf or hard of hearing to have work experience during the summer. There are thousands of jobs available every year. You can identify them through a number of ways:
- Make use of Internet that has many summer job listings, dedicated summer job browsers and several search engines that lead you to potential employment
- Network with your local employers and businesses for possible employment. Remember almost 80% of the jobs are found through networking.
- Check with your family members, church or sports friends or places where you do business
Sample places include:
Summer camp jobs
Every year Summer Camps are looking for summer staff and you can check the job postings at www.camppage.com . The job postings describe the summer jobs that are available with links to each camp. If you do not find your ideal job here, check the complete summer camps list at that website as many have unannounced summer camp jobs shown on their individual camp websites.
Careerjet is a job search engine (www.careerjet.ca) designed to make the process of finding a job on the internet easier for the user, particularly for youth. It maps the huge selection of job offerings available on the internet in one extensive database by referencing job listings originating from company websites, recruitment agency websites and large specialist recruitment sites. Using a fast and straightforward interface, users can query this database and save themselves the trouble of visiting each site individually. The job offerings themselves are not hosted by Careerjet and users are always redirected to the original job listing. Essentially, Careerjet acts as traffic driver to those sites and can identify job listings, which are scanned regularly and added to the job index.
Ontario Public Service
Every year, Summer Employment Opportunities through the Ontario Public Service are made available:
- Office positions including office administration, legal support, research, customer service, business and finance, project support, communications, human resources, policy development support, program delivery support and information technology support
- Outdoors in supporting positions related to tourism, geology, mechanical and maintenance, agriculture and parks
- Other locations like laboratories and travel information centres
- Ontario Place at www.ontarioplace.com
- St. Lawrence Parks Commission at www.parks.on.ca
- Ontario Science Centre at www.ontariosciencecentre.ca
- Ontario Travel Information Centre at www.ontariotravel.net
- The Aboriginal Youth Work Exchange Program
- The First Nations Natural Resources Youth Employment Program
The Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities has information on youth and student employment opportunities in Ontario at www.ontario.ca/summerjobs