The program is 10 months in length – 9 months of the program takes place in Toronto; 1 month involves experience as a staff interpreter in one of the CHS regional offices. During regional placement every effort is made to match interns with regions where they already have accommodation (i.e. their home community or a city/region where they have a place to stay).
The program includes
- Classroom instruction with both Deaf and hearing trainers
- One-to-one feedback from trainers and interpreter-mentors
- In-depth critical analysis of L1 and L2
- Hands on interpreting experience in a safe environment under the guidance of experienced staff and freelance interpreters
- Access to OIS video/text resources and innovative lab facilities
- Emphasis on specialized areas such as medical and mental health settings
The program will run two parallel sessions. The sessions each have 4 interns and follow the same curriculum. The two sessions run parallel but not with the same start and end dates. The staggered entrance/exit times ensures that there will always be an opportunity for placement and meaningful assignments in the community.