Ontario Interpreting Services (OIS) provides American Sign Language (ASL) - English interpreting services across Ontario, and la langue des signes québécoise (LSQ) – French interpreting services in some regions of Ontario.
To Request an Interpreter
Monday to Thursday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Emergency Interpreting Services is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week for medical, mental health, police and child welfare emergencies only.
*Emergency Interpreting Service may not be available in all communities.
** charges may apply
Why choose OIS?
- All our interpreters are pre-screened including a skills test and security check before they work for OIS
- We can provide on-site or video remote interpreting (VRI) services for any type of assignment. VRI allows a hearing and deaf person to communicate using video conferencing equipment, connecting to an interpreter sitting at a remote location.
Note: We will try our best to fill your request however, due to an interpreter shortage, we may not always be able to secure interpreters to meet your request.
New Centralized Scheduling Centre
On May 1, we opened a new centralized scheduling centre in Ottawa. This means service improvements that include: requests can be made in English, ASL, French, or LSQ, extended service hours and new free ways of reaching us including SKYPE (click here for more information)
ASL/LSQ announcement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOKDVtD7rzM
Pre-booked Requests For Service
• You must book your request during business hours: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
• Service appointments can be booked for weekdays, evening and weekends
• Your request was made more than three business days before the date/time that you need service
• Anyone can request the service
• Can be on-site or video remote interpreting (VRI) services
• Usually Deaf or hard of hearing individuals do not pay for interpreting services
• The event is not an emergency
Click here to request a booking for an interpreter.
- Anyone can request the service
- Open 24 hours/day, 7days/week, 365 days a year
- We will try our best, however, emergency interpreting services may not be available at all times in all regions
- Sudden, unforeseen crisis that requires immediate attention
- Happens where?
- Hospital emergency rooms
- After-hours medical clinics
- Crisis centres
- Police services
- Child welfare emergencies
Emergency Interpreting Service
(Medical, mental health, polilce and child welfare emergency only)
Phone: 1 866 256 5142
TTY: 1 866 831 4657
SMS/Text: 905 971 0564